DriveWorks supports the ability to have the same model captured
with different rules applied. The ability to have a model captured
outside of an assembly and have it replace a placeholder within
another assembly is also supported. This helps to keep the file
size of the master model to a minimum.
This article discusses using this approach when the model, with
rules applied, becomes a child within a parent assembly.
How To Implement
This is done by inserting the original component into its new
assembly and then capturing the new assembly and the instance of
the original component within the assembly.
Capture the New Assembly
- Open the project the new assembly is to be captured into from the
DriveWorks tab of the SOLIDWORKS task pane. This should be the same
project the original component has been captured into.
- Insert the original component into the new assembly and save
the assembly to the required location.
- With the new assembly active in SOLIDWORKS capture this by
clicking the helper link (Click here to capture the active model)
in the DriveWorks tab of the SOLIDWORKS task pane. The captured
assembly structure should look like the image below.
original component is being driven outside of the assembly it
should not be captured as a child in the assembly, instead it will
be captured as an instance.
- Select the Instances button in the DriveWorks task pane and
select the instance of the original component in the new
- Select the Captured Models tab to display a list of the models that have been captured in the current group. The list should look
like the image below:
- Open the Project Designer.
- Select Model Rules from the task explorer
- Click Add to add a new component and select the New Assembly
from the list.
- Ensure the original component appears higher up in the model
list than the New Assembly so DriveWorks generates the original
component before the assembly it will be replaced into.
- Check the box next to the New Assembly to display the
parameters to apply rules to.
- Select the captured instance of the original component and
click Build to build a rule for this instance
- Select the components tab of the rule builder and double click
the reference for the original component
- Click Ok to apply the rule and close the rule builder.
will place the original component, driven according to the
results of all the rules applied, into the new assembly.